| ||Last Update: 2007-08-02|
The project is an open-source project and uses the MIT license. When you submit data on the edit form it becomes part of the project database, and therefore covered by this license. This page attempts to describe the license for releases, both formally and informally.
The License Text
Copyright (c) 2006 Darren Cook
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
The MIT license is more liberal than most open source licenses: you can use the code and data, in personal and commercial work. It is roughly equivalent to the BSD and LGPL licenses. You can build a commercial project that uses this data and do not need to tell anyone you are using it.
But if you do use the data we would appreciate it if you would let us know.
If you plan to set up a mirror site, or a branch, please let us know in advance, so as to avoid duplication of effort.
What Is Covered?
The MLSN project includes the following parts:
- The database dumps: the meat of the project. Covered by this license.
- The scripts and html that run and document the site and its forms. Covered by this license.
It uses but does not include:
- Libraries and other software that those scripts build upon. Not distributed as part of this project; you will need to get these seperately if you intend to set up a mirror site.At the time of writing all such software and libraries are also open source.
- External data sources used to automatically generate some of the project data. These are not distributed as part of this project, though generally have equally liberal licenses. All data added automatically from external sources is tagged and so can be removed if there is a copyright objection. Scripts to import such data are currently either part of the project, or part of one of the underlying libraries.
- Log files will not be released. See the privacy page.